What Horror Movies Are Based On True Stories
Horror movies have long been a popular genre in the film industry, with countless films exploring everything from supernatural creatures and haunted houses to serial killers and psychological terror. Some of the most memorable horror movies are even based on true stories, adding an extra layer of intrigue and terror for audiences.
Here are some of the most famous horror movies based on real events.
- The Amityville Horror (1979) One of the most famous horror movies based on a true story, The Amityville Horror tells the story of the Lutz family, who move into a house in Amityville, New York, only to discover that it is haunted by the ghosts of the previous occupants, who were murdered by their own son. The film is based on the book of the same name by Jay Anson, which in turn was based on the experiences of the Lutz family.
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) This classic horror movie tells the story of a group of friends who are terrorized by a family of cannibals in rural Texas. While the film is not based on a specific true story, it is inspired by the real-life crimes of serial killer Ed Gein, who also inspired other famous horror characters like Buffalo Bill from The Silence of the Lambs and Norman Bates from Psycho.
- The Exorcist (1973) One of the most iconic horror movies of all time, The Exorcist tells the story of a young girl who is possessed by a demon and the attempts of two priests to save her. The film is based on the real-life exorcism of a young boy in Maryland in the late 1940s, which was chronicled in a book called The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty.
- The Conjuring (2013) The Conjuring tells the story of a family who move into a haunted house in Rhode Island and the paranormal investigators who try to help them. The film is based on the experiences of Ed and Lorraine Warren, real-life paranormal investigators who were involved in some of the most famous supernatural cases of the 20th century, including the Amityville Horror.
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991) While not strictly a horror movie, The Silence of the Lambs is a psychological thriller that is widely considered one of the best films in the genre. The film tells the story of a young FBI agent who enlists the help of a convicted serial killer to catch another murderer who is on the loose. The character of Hannibal Lecter is based on real-life serial killers like Ted Bundy and Ed Gein.
While these horror movies are based on true stories, it’s important to remember that the filmmakers take creative liberties to make them more entertaining and dramatic. However, the fact that these events are rooted in reality only adds to the fear and suspense for audiences, making them some of the most memorable horror movies of all time.